The state of Alabama has some specific penalties for crimes that involve drugs. People who live in our state should be aware of what is considered a crime in the eyes of the law. You may think that a small amount is not an issue, but that may not be the case.
You may want to read further to see what the law is when it comes to drugs. Title 13A of the Criminal Code is specific when drug trafficking or distribution is the case.
Classified among drug violations is one kilo or 2.2 pounds of grass, weed or cannabis. This includes seeds, stalks or resin extracted from the plant.
- If more than one kilo, 2.2 pounds, but less than 100 pounds – minimum term of imprisonment of three calendar years and a fine of $25,000
- 100 pounds or more, but less than 500 pounds – mandatory five years imprisonment and a fine of $50,000
Prison terms are longer for amounts over 100 pounds. Life in prison may be the result of 1,000 pounds or more.
Trafficking charges may result from the possession of as little as 28 grams of cocaine. Here are the penalties:
- 28 grams or more, but less than 500 grams – mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of three years and fine of $50,000
- 500 grams or more, but less than one kilo – mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years and a fine of $100,000
With 10 kilos or more, a mandatory term of imprisonment of life will result.
Fentanyl, morphine and opium
Four grams of this substance constitutes a crime.
- Four grams but less than 14 grams – a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of three years and a fine of $50,000
If found to have 56 grams or more, you’ll receive a mandatory term of life in prison.
1,000 or more pills or capsules of Methaqualone (sedative-hypnotic drug) could qualify for trafficking or distribution charges. The psychedelic, Methylenedioxy amphetamine (MDA, Ecstacy or sass) can qualify at 28 grams or more. Conviction carries, at a minimum, a three-year prison sentence and a fine of $50,000.
Alabama has a whole range of drugs that are punishable with prison and fines. From trafficking weed to MDA to Fentanyl and more, punishment may be severe.