There are several state and federal laws governing drug crimes. It is crucial to have a skilled attorney on your side when facing drug-related charges. Fortunately, our Birmingham drug crime defense lawyers have over 30 years of combined experience representing clients charged with drug crimes, in both state and federal courts:
- Drug possession, including meth, cocaine, heroin, prescription opioids
- Possession of marijuana or drug paraphernalia
- Distribution and drug trafficking
- Drug manufacturing or any involvement in the production of illegal drugs
- Related charges such as money laundering or weapon offenses
The penalties for drug crimes will depend on the type of drug, the quantity, the age of the defendant and whether this is the individual’s first offense. Felony charges of drug trafficking or possession with intent to distribute are chiefly based on a certain amount, rather than evidence of drug transactions. While marijuana has been legalized or decriminalized in over 23 states across the U.S., Alabama has essentially none of these reforms. Therefore, it is still illegal to possess or sell marijuana in the state of Alabama.
We have represented many college students accused of drug possession or selling drugs. Our goal is to protect that young adult’s future, rather than letting poor judgment or a drug addiction ruin their life.